Pages

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Monday, May 30, 2016

Child-like...

Innocence is a virtue very selected few retain as they grow in age. When I say age, I consider it as just a number. Neither does it indicate maturity nor does it indicate experience since both are exclusively case specific and extremely variant according to individual.
                    To support my observation I d give example of my son Kanha, when he goes down in our society compound to play , he carries his play kit with him. Its bat and ball sometimes, sometimes racket and shuttle cock and at times pencil n paper for a treasure hunt. That day he came with a new blue ball, I asked him about it, he said that a friend had given it to him since his ball went down the drain. I had my doubts in mind, if he had indeed been given it or had he taken it without his friends permission. I asked him and his reply was the same... "my ball went down the drainage slit so he has given me his ball."  With my conditioned principles in place I coaxed him to return it the very next day and got him a variety of balls. He was happy....
             I casually observed them play one evening, none of the kids got shuttle cocks all had rackets... Only Kanha kept taking his shuttles down... it's easy to lose more than a few each time the shot goes off and the shuttle lands on a roof or a garage shed or beyond the compound in an overgrown wildfoliage. Within two days full set of shuttles was gone... "Now what are you going to do when this last shuttle gets lost Kanha?"
"Someone will get it from their house or I will ask you to get a new set" pat came the reply...
There was no calculation , no pretentious judgement of other behaviours, no manipulative actions....
Pure plain and simple motive PLAYTIME.
If everyone was enjoying, all was good...
And I was stunned as to why I wondered if no one got their play gear but my son...

           I felt extremely embarrassed about being this Non-innocent. Thankfully the last shuttle lasted that day...However,  the very next day I did not forget to buy a new set of shuttles as I headed back home from work...
This innocence is precious and non negotiable...

I love it when HE giggles behind the curtain when we play hide and seek at home...
I love it when HE asks me guess who's this?- as he closes my eyes from behind...
I love it when HE asks me to play school school, role playing of a chef with water in some vessels and spoon...
I love that HE calls cricket - bat ball....
I love it when he still uses the words 'maau, bhu bhu, anga, mum mum'
He asked me what happens to the stars when it's morning ( I did explain it to him with a proper globe and a make belief modelled experiment) - the wonderment was innocent...
I love it when HE asks me where did dad's cold n fever go, when he recovers???
I love it when HE comes to make me smell his hands every time he washes them...
I love it when HE finds sneezes funny...

Yes they ll grow up....
Yes they ll learn the manoeuvring...
Yes they ll become smart...
They ll be successful....
But WE have just this bit of time till they grow up to enjoy their INNOCENCE....
I have this strange hope of finding my Innocence back, amidst the hustle bustle of fast track days and run through of masks and merits of this number that defines my time on this earth this till now....
 - Prajakta Sathe

No comments:

Post a Comment